Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I know it's summer time. And I know heavy meals are usually frowned upon. And should especially be frowned upon by me who has been subjected to 100+ weather for the past two months. I can't help myself, however, I love Chicken Cordon Bleu, and I despise having to wait for fall/winter before I can enjoy certain meals. So I crank the A/C (look how green I am?) and enjoy my meal. Because, honestly, who wants to melt while they eat? Not I!

I love cooking homemade meals, and since my husband has started working the afternoon shift, I have had to make all the meals ahead of time so he has something other than freezer meals to eat at work.

I love experimenting with mashed potatoes, I have yet to find the perfect recipe but the recipe below is my favourite one so far. I also paired the meal with fresh homemade lemonade. But that's a secret recipe.

Not pictured with the meal is the awesome fresh side-salad we had with it. I absolutely love fresh ingredients and I wish I lived in a place where they were available all year long, but, alas, midwest living will have to suffice for now.

 


Chicken Cordon Bleu
Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
3 oz cheese (I used Colby Jack, but Mozzarella will work too)
1 Clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
3 oz ham (I used deli sliced)
Egg wash (1 large egg + 1 Tbsp water)
Salt and Pepper to season

Directions:

1. Butterfly each breast by cutting it almost in half with a sharp knife. Putting it in the freezer 30 minutes before cooking will help with this step.

2. Lay each butterflied chicken breast flat. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese inside the ham and roll ham. Place ham and cheese roll inside chicken. Fold all the pieces of meat to the center so it overlaps. Place seam side down.

3. Mix crumbs with Italian herbs. Dip stuffed chicken breast (making sure to hold the chicken and ham in place) into egg then into crumbs making sure to thoroughly coat it.

4. Place on baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees or about an hour or until inserted meat thermometer reaches 175 degrees.


Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients
6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup Cheese

Place potatoes in water, boil for 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to potato. You can either use a hand mixer/stand alone mixer, or a potato masher if you prefer more lumps in your mashed potatoes. While mashing the potatoes add the butter until it is melted and then add the cheese. They are going to get sticky pretty quick so just stir it until the cheese is blended throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment